You know what I love about UK (BBC) television? It’s always clean. Think about it – it might have adventure, it might be scary but it’s always clean. It’s refreshing to be able to watch a show that I love and not have to worry about nudity or adult graphics when kids are around. Even kids can watch them. That being said, I’ve compiled a list of the TV shows that I enjoy watching the most from BBC/PBS and that are available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
- Downton Abbey –
- We have all seen it. It’s a great show. This one encompasses life during the early 1900’s in England. It shows us what it would have been like to live during that era. It really does a great job showing us the triumphs and pitfalls of what would have been available to each social class and being able to watch them navigate it is always interesting. This particular show is dramatic, family friendly, and intriguing.
- Land Girls –
- Placed in a slightly later timeframe than Downton Abbey – Land Girls does a great job showing how women contributed to the English economy during WWII. It follows 4 girls and their triumphs and failures throughout a year. While some go on to find love, others are faced with moral dilemmas, and some are filled it with anguish. I would classify this show as family friendly, historical, and dramatic.
- Call The Midwife –
- This show is easily one of my favorites. While the main character disappears after the first season or two – the show continues and it really gives a great insight into what nursing was like in the 1950’s. Surprisingly my grandmother was actually a nurse during that time frame in the US and when I ask her – she tells me the show is very accurate. This show upholds the ideals of the 1950’s house wife, morals, and conscience of England. Therefore, this show is classified as historically accurate, clean, and while pieces might be not child friendly, it is over all family friendly.
- Sherlock –
- I think we can all agree that Benedict Cumberbatch is an excellent actor. He and Martin Freeman have paired off in this riveting show to give us a great duo known as “Sherlock” and “Watson”. This show is not only interesting and excellent at holding a short attention span but is exciting and a family friendly detective show. Over all, the show does a great spin on a well-known classic book.
- Firstly if you haven’t seen this show, put down your computer or phone and go watch it. This show happens to be one of my favorites. The beauty is that the main character is always changing (every season or two) and so does his companion. It’s a bit like James Bond – the constant change brings something new to the show and everyone has their own favorite. This is a great Sci-fi show that is clean, adventurous, and has a occassional twist in history. At times it’s just thrilling enough and each ending is different. It is a must watch.
- Great British Baking Show –
- Who doesn’t love food? I’m a bit of a foodie, but baking is really my outlet. I enjoy watching this show because I always get new flavor ideas, learn more about baking, and it’s a comforting show for me. Unlike American competitions where each person is very mindful of their own interests, the contestants on The GBBS are very aware that everyone needs to finish. They show great sportsmanship and each person is helped to finish before presenting. It is an educational, clean, family friendly show that highlights what competition could be.
- Planet Earth-
- I love David Attenborough. The day he stops doing nature documentaries will be the saddest day of my life. His voice is soothing and he does a great job showing emotion when necessary. Not only are these shows clean and wholesome but they are educational and also informative. It is something every child could watch and every adult enjoy.
Over all – UK television has been producing clean and wholesome shows for a long time. I’ve been hard pressed to find anything coarse or inappropriate within their shows. I’m always looking for more so if you have a recommendation please leave a comment.