I am not immune to bad grades. I wish I was but I’m not. After a long semester, one filled with tears (literally) and struggling to keep a good grade in specific classes, I have decided to write a post on how to successfully navigate a hard class. I’m not guarenteeing you will recieve an A or a great grade but you are sure to pass the class. Many of these tips I read before I started my class and I ignored until the end of the semester. I’ve since reevaluated my decision. So here are some tips that I will be implimenting this next semester.
- Perfect Attendance – I use this title because it brings to mind a specific item. Not “oh it’s ok to miss some” but always being there and always being on time. I want to stress the point that you really need to make sure to be in class as much as you can. Not only will it help you develope a presence with your professor but it will also help you when they give tips in class about tests, exams, and how to remember items.
- Ask Questions – Make sure you ask something if you don’t know it. It’s important to be clear about something even if you feel stupid or ignorant. You are in a classroom and it’s probably the safest zone you could have to ask questions like “Is Limestone part of Tums”? – PS – the answer is NO. And yes I’ve heard this question in a classroom.
- Study Outside the Classroom – This doesn’t just mean in the library. I would highly recommend http://www.KahnAcademy.com for pretty much any science or math subject. I haven’t used them for anything other then science or math but they have proven to be one of the most useful websites I’ve come across.
- PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE – Practice until your head hurts and your brain wants to drop out of it. I’m not talking about practicing concepts where you are strong – practice your weak points. It is the only way you will get better. If you don’t understand the teacher – find another source, but practice as much as you can.
- Silence your phones/computers/any source of distraction –I do this in class and when I study because otherwise I will get so distracted. It will help you focus on the concepts you need to be studying or paying attention to lecture more than you realize.
Do you have any tips you want to share? I’ve found a study buddy to be very helpful in certain instances but with hard topics, I have to say that I find I study best by myself. I’ve also found it helpful to ask the professor privately for help or find a tutor for concepts that I don’t understand if you can’t find help online. Personally, I learn best by myself so that’s the way I tend to study. Best of Luck to all the students out there.